- Director of LICOS Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance
- Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS)
- President (2012-2015), International Association of Agricultural Economists
- President, Beeronomics Society
- Professor of Economics at the University of Leuven (KU Leuven):
- Address: Kantoorgebouw Waaistraat, Waaistraat 6, 3000 Leuven
- Room: 02.58
- Phone: +32 16 32 65 56
- Fax: +32 16 32 67 96
- Url: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/jo.swinnen
- E-mail: Jo.Swinnen@kuleuven.be
- Office-hours: Tuesday: From 15h00 to 17h, only upon appointment
Johan Swinnen is Professor of Economics and Director of the LICOS Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance at the University of Leuven (KUL). He is also Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), Brussels, where he directs the programme on EU agricultural and rural policy.
He was previously Lead Economist at the World Bank and Economic Advisor at the European Commission. He consults for the OECD, FAO, EBRD, UNDP, IFAD, and to several Governments and was coordinator of several international research networks on food policy, institutional reforms, and economic development.
He is President-elect of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, a Fellow of the European Association of Agricultural Economists and President of the Beeronomics Society. He holds a PhD from Cornell University.
He has published widely on political economy, institutional reform, trade, agricultural and food policy. His latest books are "Foreign Direct Investment and Human Development (Routledge), "Private Standards and Global Governance" (Edward Elgar Publishing), "The Economics of Beer" (Oxford University Press) and “Political Power and Economic Policy” (Cambridge University Press).
Click here for a full Curriculum Vitae of Prof. Dr. Swinnen.